Wednesday 11 April 2012

Words I love


Today’s post is a little different. Since I work with languages all day, every day, I thought I’d share my favourite words with you – and explain why I love them so much. I’m not going to include the translations, because that would turn you into a lazy reader. I like a challenge, and therefore I challenge you to find out the meaning of the words you don’t know. Not by using Google Translate, but by finding a native speaker who can help you out. I said this in an earlier post: I like personal contact more than I like computers, so make this your task of the day. Communicate. Discover. And look at language from a totally different perspective. Pronounce these words, try to give them your very own meaning. Use them in a sentence. Find synonyms and antonyms. Have fun!

By the way, the languages are in no particular order.

Dutch

Sowieso: a tricky one – many native speakers can’t even spell this word. I think it’s trendy. It makes me feel young and dynamic.

Genieten: it doesn’t sound as peaceful and relaxing as it should, yet it conveys a certain calmness.

English

Gizmo: the name of my adorable dog and such a unique word. A tad aggressive and buzzing.

Odd: I use this one a lot (you’ve probably noticed). It’s short and powerful. And a little quirky.

Italian

Affascinante: passion, beauty, Italy at its best. Sexy, but not vulgar. Blissful. Reminds me of romantic restaurants in the Trastevere district of Rome.

Cucciolo: cuteness overload. Perfectly rounded pronunciation, I always say this with a baby voice. It reminds me of years gone by, green fields, blue skies and daisies.

Maltese

Ejja: when I moved here, I vowed never to include this in my repertoire. Alas, I have failed. It’s so typically Maltese. It perfectly reflects the local lifestyle, a little laissez-faire and a little rushed, but always cheerful.

Hanini: another word I thought (and hoped) I would never use. Adorable.

French

Bonjour: this word makes me smile. In fact, my first e-mail of the day always starts with “bonjour” regardless of the recipient. It’s French but international. It’s elegant and sweet.

Bonbon: how cute is this? Playful, delicious and a teeny-weeny bit childish, but in a good way.

Why not make a list of your favourite words? If you had to define a language using only two words, which ones would you opt for and why? What do you associate your favourite words with?

No comments:

Post a Comment