Monday 30 April 2012

Brand loyalty


Yesterday I was tweeting about coffee and I mentioned my Bialetti coffee maker. Suddenly I realised that whenever I need to buy a new coffee maker (every two to three years), I refuse to buy anything but a Bialetti. When I go to Italy, one of my favourite places to shop is the Bialetti outlet store. Why I wonder? What makes Bialetti the best brand in my little world? Why does my brain refuse to believe that other companies can make equally good coffee makers? And cost-conscious as I am, why pay more for a branded product?

The same goes for cornflakes. I only buy Kellogg’s. Not because they’re a client of the agency I work with, but probably because it’s the brand I grew up with. And having visited the Kellogg’s offices in Belgium has only reinforced my idea that its products best suit my taste buds. Then there’s make up. For me, it’s The Body Shop or nothing, even after having tried €50 Guerlain foundation.

In a way, as a translator, I’m responsible for selling products. I translate and localise press releases, product labels, marketing material, websites etc. On a professional level, I know exactly what goes into a 500-word press release. Months in advance, potential consumers are invited to try the product and give their opinion, which is then reworked into a motto or highlighted in a colourful textbox on the packaging. Translators are often sent internal guidelines and vocabulary lists. Every word is scrutinised by the marketing manager and the legal team. On a more personal level, I let my purchases be influenced by marketing and habit. Or is there more to it? I’m not sure what determines what we buy. Is it the position of the product on the shelf? Is it viral videos, ads, billboards? Or nostalgia maybe?

I’m quite sure in my case certain decisions are based on a nostalgic feeling that takes me back to my happy childhood years. My mum’s coffee (and caffè d’orzo when I was a little chipmunk) was and is to this day brewed with a Bialetti coffee maker. The only difference between mine and hers, is that hers is the traditional silver one and mine is… orange (that comes as no surprise if you read my blog). For breakfast I always had the Kellogg’s Variety packs, and I’d spend my first fifteen minutes of the day playing the games on the back of the packs. And if I remember correctly, my first lip gloss was one of those tiny pots by The Body Shop with raspberry flavour. So there you have it, brand loyalty explained from my personal point of view.

We all have brands we cherish. What are yours?

1 comment:

  1. I'm also a translator, and sometimes when I'm translating a cosmetics brochure or a shampoo presentation I get more and more convinced of the benefits of product and think of maybe getting it. This is not a long-lasting effect, though - I've never actually gone out and bought any of those products.

    ReplyDelete