Wednesday 25 April 2012

Ode to Gizmo

Here he is... my cutie pie!

I dedicate today’s post to a very close friend – you know who you are – and her Hugo. 

If you know me personally, you know I’m totally and utterly obsessed with Mister Gizmo (a.k.a. Giz, Fiz, amore and some other twenty nicknames). Mister Gizmo is a black labrador that came into my life four years ago and showed me the meaning of true love, but also hard work and commitment. Gizmo is my everything – there’s no way I can put into words what he means to me. Even when he drives me insane with his non-stop barking and begging for food, when he destroyed two mobile phones, my favourite shoes, a passport and a chair because he was teething, and the dozens of times he peed all over the house after a two-hour walk… Gizmo has that something that makes your heart melt. Maybe it’s his droopy eyes. Or the way he knocks over glasses and vases on the coffee table every time he wags his huge tail. I’m sure everyone says that about his dog; still, Gizmo is special.

Our black beauty has epilepsy and is on barbiturates to keep his seizures under control. In theory his medication has a sedating effect, but the little rascal actually surprised several vets with his lively – make that hyperactive – attitude. We can take him out for three hours and he’ll still find the energy to play catch.

A dog can bring so much joy into your life, but it’s also a huge commitment. When you’re out having dinner, you know you have to be home by a certain time to take him for his walk. When you go on holiday, you have to beg your family to house and dog sit. Then there’s vet visits, expensive diet food, toys and accessories. But none of that is a sacrifice, because the unconditional love and loyal companionship you get in return is without a doubt the best gift ever. So take everything into consideration before adopting a dog, because a dog is for life.

I recommend the book Life with Beau, A tale of a dog and his family by Anna Quindlen. It’s short and sweet. And it perfectly describes the way I feel about my Gizzie.

1 comment:

  1. Isa (@Barney_the_dog)25 April 2012 at 10:19

    I completely agree, I also have a dog (flat coated retriever), apple of my eye, called... Barney :)
    One of the advantages of working from home.

    ReplyDelete