Monday 9 April 2012

Arrogance & talent

I can’t stand arrogant people – you know, flaunting their skills (or lack thereof) in such a way that others feel belittled. Using a tone that leaves no scope for constructive criticism. I feel if you’re truly talented, you don’t feel the need to flaunt it. That doesn’t mean talent should go unrecognised. The key to success is allowing others to discover your talent. It is giving them the opportunity to assess your skills and decide whether or not you meet their expectations. It is also accepting defeat. Everyone has bad days. Everyone makes mistakes. Even the grammar and spelling police. But admitting you’re wrong doesn’t mean you have failed. It means there is room for improvement – there always is – and you’re willing to accept that.  

Why this rant? I often correct translation tests and I must say some translators, even when backed by decades of experience, can mess up pretty badly and react in a totally unacceptable manner when put on the spot. Luckily, I only correct the tests; I don’t write the feedback e-mails. That would be a really bad idea, because I’m left with zero communication skills (given my lack of social contacts), and subtle hints are not my forte.  

I understand it must be quite embarrassing to discover that you don’t meet the criteria to work with a certain agency. But does that make the agency “bad”? “Too strict”? “Too picky”? No, it simply means you’re not the right person for this particular employer. Maybe you really are a bad translator, maybe you weren’t feeling well or you were pressed for time when you did your test (next time think twice), maybe you misinterpreted the assignment… A test can go wrong for many reasons, but rest assured that if you heed the advice you’ve received, things can only go uphill. So put on those hiking shoes and start walking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment