Monday 16 April 2012

Trilingual?! – Because I get this question a lot.


So let’s clear this up once and for all. My mum’s Italian. My dad’s Belgian. I was born and raised in Belgium, but I travelled a lot, mainly to Italy and the UK. My dad’s Belgian, but London and all things English run through his veins (long story). And now I live in Malta, a.k.a. the rock.

At home I spoke Italian and English. At school I spoke Dutch. Does that make me trilingual? I suppose so. It’s a very unusual situation, I know. And people just don’t get it. Many are skeptical, and I don’t blame them. How can you speak three languages fluently? How can you feel comfortable switching between them? Which one’s your mother tongue? Does your voice change according to the language you speak?

First things first: I feel more Italian than Belgian. My readers know that I have a penchant for il bel paese. Unfortunately I was born in the wrong country. Not that I don’t like Belgium, ma non mi fa né caldo né freddo. I don’t miss it at all. And I certainly don’t miss speaking Dutch. It’s a language that makes me feel uncomfortable. Whenever I meet my colleagues in Belgium I feel awkward knowing I have to speak Dutch. But when they hear me talk – or when they read my translations – nothing gives away my lack of confidence. Or so they say.

I consider Italian to be my mother tongue. Apparently I dream in Italian. Once my dad woke me up, in English, and I mumbled something in Italian. Hubby-to-be and I speak mostly English – although when we first met, we’d switch between English and Italian; there was no logic, yet it worked. When we argue, I switch to Italian and he switches to Maltese. It sounds complicated, but it isn’t. It comes naturally. Our house is a happy mishmash of North and South.

Hubby-to-be says my voice sounds “better” and “sweeter” (whatever that may mean) when I speak Italian, con la cadenza veneta. It’s less harsh, probably because Italian calls for a softer, more rounded pronunciation. My English has probably been influenced by Minglish* over the past few years. My Dutch has a hint of Gents in it.

So why do I write in English? No idea. Just like shouting comes natural in Italian, writing comes natural in English. The brain works in mysterious ways. Maybe one day I’ll decide to write in Italian or in Dutch, but for now English it is.

I am so incredibly grateful for the opportunities I’ve been given. My parents should be very proud of themselves. Not because I speak three languages, but because I’m so happy being who I am and doing what I do. Languages are my passion, and they instilled that in me. They taught me the importance of communication. They urged me to keep perfecting my skills. They made me the optimistic “trilingual” person I am today. Grazie mammina. Thank you daddy.

* the English spoken in Malta

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I have a Dutch father and a German mother and nowadays I speak and write more English than Dutch despite living in the Netherlands. But that doesn't make me trilingual. I do wonder how speaking Dutch exactly makes you feel uncomfortable?

    I'm not very fond of Dutch myself either. To me the language is more and more a compromise between neighboring languages with the addition of a few difficult words so we Dutch can pretend otherwise. Another factor for me is that many good memories are moments when another language than Dutch was spoken, whereas Dutch represents the dull classes at primary and secondary school.

    Well have fun with the deadlines:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Bedankt voor je reactie!

    I suppose English and Italian are my "safety nets", because those are the languages I spoke and heard at home. They represent that safe haven and as you said, happy memories.

    For some reason I'm more self-conscious when I speak Dutch. I worry about making mistakes and being judged. Not sure why, because I'm fluent in Dutch, but there's something about it that makes me very uncomfortable, even more so now that I live in an English-speaking country. I worry about forgetting words and sounding funny. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete