Monday 14 May 2012

Wrinkle cream and the flow of life


On Saturday I went shopping. Nothing memorable, were it not that I bought my first wrinkle cream. Every woman will testify that is a life-defining and life-changing moment. It makes you think of all the times you squinted to get a good look at that cute guy across the road, all the laughter and happiness, all the tears and sadness. All of a sudden you enter a new phase in life. It’s not the wrinkle cream that does that to you, but the realisation that life consists of various phases, and you’ve just left one behind to enter a new one.

I think I’ve reached that stage in my life where I’m perfectly at peace with myself. I’m no longer bothered by how others perceive me. I can easily walk out the door without a full face of make-up on, even without covering up that huge pimple on my cheek. I couldn’t care less whether my outfit is fashionable or whether my dog has drooled on my skirt leaving marks all over it.

Growing up you don’t realise this day will eventually come. For some it comes at the age of forty, for others at the age of twenty. But everyone actually does at some point stop worrying about the way they are perceived. I used to panic when we had visitors because our walls have been plastered, but not painted over. Because our dog leaves chunks of fur in every nook and cranny of the flat. Because our bathroom cabinet is not neatly organised. Then I read something somewhere – no idea where exactly – that had a profound impact on me: always consider whether your actions will have a positive influence on your life. If not, don’t even bother. Find a different way out.

Would a painted wall make me a happier person? Would vacuuming five times a week instead of three times make me smile? Would an organised bathroom cabinet give me a more positive outlook on life? Not really, no.

That idea is the mantra I apply to all my decisions. Granted, you can’t control what lies ahead, but you can steer your life in the direction you want it to follow. I believe in destiny – some coincidences are just too improbable – but I also believe we have the power to change things that cause heartbreak and suffering. The only requirement? A good dose of willpower. If you dig deep enough, you’ll find it! Make this your aim of the week…

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, great blog, great aim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria Bondin16 May 2012 at 12:07

    And you got all that from a tub of wrinkle cream... WOW!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make that a tiny bottle... I'm only 27!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to say your blog is very great. I usually like to read some thing new about this because I’ve the comparable blog in my Country on this subject so this help’s me a lot.

    ReplyDelete