Monday 21 May 2012

Iconic products


I bought my first pair of branded sunglasses. Well, that’s not entirely true. I’ve been the proud owner of a pair of Nike sunglasses for two years. I bought them on sale for € 25 in one of those outlet shopping centres in Italy. Last week, after the wrinkle cream saga, I decided it was time for me to work on a more “grown-up” look, so I went out and bought myself the sunglasses I’ve always wanted, the iconic Ray-Ban Aviators.

RAY-BAN AVIATORS

Why did I just call them iconic? What exactly makes a product iconic? The company’s branding strategy? The quantities sold worldwide? Celebrities flaunting it? In my humble opinion, a product becomes iconic thanks to its unique design, a good advertising campaign resulting in spectacular sales figures and… patience. My sunglasses were designed more than seventy years ago. They’ve stood the test of time. The design and quality have been perfected. They were worn in popular films such as Top Gun, they’ve surfaced on the covers of magazines, they’ve been launched in several shades and redesigned to meet the demands of various trends. And let’s face it, they’re damn sexy!

Owning an iconic product gives you a feeling of belonging to an exclusive group of discerning consumers that just keeps growing, generation after generation. Or is it just an illusion, a way to justify the fact that you’ve just spent a ridiculous amount of money on something so meaningless? Yes, that’s probably it!

No comments:

Post a Comment