Wednesday 2 May 2012

Blogging: a little background info.


A friend asked me how I decide what I’m going to blog about. Do I have a set of topics that I want to tackle? Do I write most blog posts in advance? Do I ask my readers for feedback and subsequently base my decisions on their suggestions? Her question inspired me to write this blog post, to give you an idea of what goes on behind the scenes and to give you a glimpse of my new calling: blogging about my life as a stay-at-home translator, proofreader and copywriter.

I’m an impulsive person and I don’t like being told what to do. I decide what I'm going to write about, sometimes a few days in advance, but usually the night before I post it. Of course, I take into account my readers’ tips. I listen to what they have to say about my writing and I appreciate their advice. I like writing about my daily life, but without going into too much detail. The internet has already taken away so much privacy, that there are certain things I’d rather keep to myself. Of course, starting this blog was my choice, so a little loss of privacy is to be expected. But everything within limits.

So far, I’ve posted daily updates. That might change in the future. For now, I can handle it. I don’t see blogging as a chore, but as a way to relax, to de-stress. It’s something I look forward to. The moment I start questioning what I’m doing, I’ll have to reassess this whole blogging thing. The best advice I was ever given, is “do what you love, because if you don’t, people will notice, and they’ll lose interest”. Again, I don’t write for others, but for myself. However, it’s nice to get so many positive comments.

I’ve always liked writing. And I’ve always been a dreamer. When I was in primary school I used to write stories in notepads that I would decorate with stickers and drawings. In secondary school I decided I was going to write a book… about Julius Caesar, that fascinating man whose life I had explored during my Latin lessons. That project never took off, probably because it dawned on me that I had bitten off more than I could chew. Ever since, I’ve been jotting down bits and pieces here and there. I’ve never played any instruments, I’ve never been into sports; writing has always been my passion, my creative outlet.

Blogging allows me to let off some steam after a tough day. That’s why I’m doing it. I really enjoy it and I hope you enjoy it too. If not, no worries; there’s always the little X in the right-hand corner (or the little red circle on the left if you’ve given up on Microsoft).

No comments:

Post a Comment