Tuesday 17 April 2012

Logic. No idea what that means.


If you follow my blog I’m sure by now you’ve realised the word “logic” does not feature in my dictionary. I was just talking to a friend about this new… let’s call it “project” for lack of a better description, and she pointed out that it really does reflect who I am: spontaneous, optimistic, impulsive and somewhat illogical. One day I write about art and the next my dog takes centre stage. And sometimes my dog becomes art.

Last week I registered on Bloggers.com and I realised my blog doesn’t really belong in any of the given categories; I figured “Personal” was the best match. It got me thinking about the lack of structure and logic in everything I do. Even work-wise. I usually manage to meet my deadlines – a fifteen-minute delay doesn’t count, does it? – yet I don’t have a “system”. I just “go with the flow”.  The more pressure, the better. I don’t work in a “logical” manner. Sometimes I even start translating the last page of a text first, simply because it looks more interesting (or colourful). And that tends to get me in trouble, because many clients want partial deliveries. How do you explain you started working on page twenty instead of page one?

This random approach seems to empower me. The more complicated I make things, the better I perform. I purposely step into a labyrinth of complexity to challenge myself. No logic in this method, I know, except that it boosts my enthusiasm. And consequently also the quality of my work.

What is logic anyway? Who establishes what is logical and what isn’t? Should we all follow a set of rules when finishing our work? Isn’t productivity a by-product of creativity? And isn’t creativity by definition deviant? I choose to stray from the norm. Page twenty it is!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment