Sunday 1 April 2012

Inspiration & creativity


… they manifest themselves in the strangest ways, and at the worst possible times. I have days when I write up to ten blog posts, one after the other, and only stop when I realise I urgently need to pee. Or when the phone rings, snapping me from my trance. And then there are those rare days when I feel brain dead. Apathy creeps up on me. I stare at a blank wall and that’s precisely what I see – a blank wall.

This doesn’t apply to writing only. I paint and draw. You will never hear me say I’m an artist, but I like to think of myself as creative. My works are colourful and meaningful. They reflect my personality and my world view. I also like interior design, particularly small-space solutions. Not that I live in a small space (average I would say), but I have an unhealthy obsession with inspiring answers to seemingly insurmountable dilemmas in architecture and home décor. And plants, let’s not forget about my fascination with flowers and herb plants.

A while ago the priest came to bless our flat. We knew in advance he was coming, because the parish office had sent a note to all local residents. Somehow we had forgotten. A knock on the door, at 8 p.m. Strange. Maybe one of our neighbours needed sugar? Hmm, that doesn’t happen anymore in our day and age. Nope, it was the priest. And what was I doing? Painting. My entire table covered with newspapers and brushes. My hands stained with flashy blue, yellow and pink acrylic paint. The look on his face was priceless. I was inspired*, what can I say?

Hubby-to-be is now used to my brain being triggered by the weirdest things. But there are moments when he questions my sanity. Like the time he opened the door and he found me carrying a huge lemon tree. Or the day I decided I wanted to take up porcelain painting and rushed to Valletta to buy special pens at an art supplies shop. And last but not least, my three months of yoga practice on the bedroom floor, complete with absurd music, instruction videos and funny outfits.

I believe creativity is the key to a fulfilling life. I’m convinced it pays off to let your inspiration run wild. Let your brain guide you and don’t be afraid of being judged. I guarantee you’ll feel refreshed and satisfied.

* This is the result: Malta as seen through my eyes. Now proudly displayed in our living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment